To be Valiant

We seem to have lost the concept of valour somewhere along the way.

At four o'clock this morning, I woke with the words of an old hymn running through my head:

"He who would valiant be, 'gainst all disaster".

I remembered sitting cross legged in the hall at assembly, and feeling strengthened and empowered by the words of the hymn, as life and the gods hurled their various sticks and stones at me.

As the world turns, and turns again, and as I face the often terrifying changes, undoings, un-ravellings, collapsings and general turmoil out there, I ask the universe to help me to be valiant: "possessing or showing courage or determination".

I think of the Knights of the Round Table; of Odysseus; of Achilles; of Victor Frankl; of Nelson Mandela;

I choose to be valiant in my response to the world today.

Comments